Uterine fibroids are muscular tumours that form in or on the uterus or within the uterine wall. Fibroids are known by various medical terminologies such as fibromas, myomas, and leiomyomas. They can grow in various sizes and shapes, causing weight gain and swelling in the abdominal region, especially if they are large in size. In this article, we take a closer look at the causes, symptoms and the treatment options offered by gynaecologist doctors In Delhi and Gurgaon for patients with uterine fibroids.
Symptoms & Causes of Fibroids
Fibroids usually surface in women who are in the fertile age range of 30-40 years. Only 1 in every three women affected women may display symptoms of fibroids. These include:
- Heavy and painful periods resulting in anaemia
- Swelling and discomfort in the lower abdomen area
- Frequent urination
- Painful intercourse
- Infertility & repeated miscarriages
The causes of fibroids are not known, although they may be caused or aided by hormonal imbalances, high oestrogen levels, genetics, and obesity.
Diagnosis & Treatment of Fibroids
A patient experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms must contact an Obstetric doctor in Gurgaon. Your gynaecologist in Gurgaon may confirm the presence of fibroids upon conducting a transvaginal or an intravaginal ultrasound scan. Further, an MRI, hysteroscopy or laparoscopy may be done to rule out other conditions and confirm the presence of fibroids. A biopsy may also be taken of the uterus to rule out any chances of cancer.
A ladies doctor In Gurgaon may recommend treatment only if the fibroids display symptoms and affect the quality of life. If the patient wishes to bear children or if heavy menstrual cycles are causing severe anaemia, treatment options may be explored. There are chances that fibroids once contracted, may grow till the patient reaches menopause when oestrogen levels fall. If the patient is not close to menopausal age, treatment is necessary.
Treatment options begin with prescribing medication to produce less oestrogen and progesterone. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist (GnRHa) is administered in the form of medication which stops the menstrual cycle.
This treatment does not affect fertility at the end of the treatment, however, it may bring upon menopause-like symptoms temporarily such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, excessive and sweating. NSAIDs or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may also be prescribed if the pain from fibroids is unbearable.
Surgery For Fibroids
Obstetric doctors in Delhi may suggest surgical intervention if the fibroids are not treated with medication. Procedures considered include:
- Myomectomy: This procedure involves removing fibroids from the muscular walls of the uterus. It is particularly administered if the size and number of fibroids are limited or the patient wishes to bear children in the future. In cases where the size of the fibroids are large or they are located inside of the uterus, this procedure may prove inconclusive.
- Hysterectomy: Hysterectomy refers to the partial or complete removal of the uterus. This procedure is adopted if the fibroids are very large in nature and menstrual bleeding is excessive. Obstetric doctors in Delhi may decide to keep the fallopian tubes and ovaries for hormonal purposes.
- Endometrial Ablation: This procedure is effective if there are small fibroids present on the inner lining of the uterus, wherein this lining is removed to treat fibroids.
- Uterine Artery Embolization: This procedure refers to temporarily cutting off blood supply to the womb to reduce bleeding and shrink fibroids. It is not suitable for those wishing to bear children in the future or already pregnant patients.
- MRI-Guided Ultrasound/Laser Ablation: An MRI scan locates the fibroids following which an ultrasound/a laser fiber device is inserted into the uterus to shrink the fibroids.
The nature of the procedure depends on the nature of the fibroids.
Patients with fibroids or symptoms indicating fibroids should seek medical counsel at the earliest to get the necessary treatment. If left unmonitored, they can cause leiomyosarcoma, internal bleeding, or renal failure. The first step to getting the right treatment for fibroids is contacting the best gynaecologist in Gurgaon. Trust Meddo to connect you with leading gynaecologists in Gurgaon & NCR for comprehensive obstetric care.