A coronavirus causes the respiratory disease COVID-19 with a wide variety of symptoms like sore throat, fever, etc. Sore throat is only one symptom, but there are many more which are more common. In this blog, we will get the answer of the query ‘is sore throat a symptom of corona’. We will also know what other symptoms we need to watch and when we should seek medical attention.
Is Sore Throat a Symptom of Corona or Not?
Symptoms of COVID-19 vary from person to person. There is no written proof when exactly the sore throat symptom can occur in the infection from coronavirus.
In the common cold, one of the respiratory illnesses, sore throat is generally an early symptom; since respiratory viruses are inhaled, it means they enter through your throat and nose-first. This may be the reason for their early appearance, which leads to the irritation and soreness of the throat. However, sore throat is not the common symptom of COVID-19 as WHO has registered only a few percent of people with a sore throat. In one of the studies in China, only 13.9% of people have a sore throat as the COVID-19 symptoms as recorded by WHO.
Other Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19
Other COVID-19 symptoms are more common signs of coronavirus. The three most common symptoms of COVID-19 are
- Cough can be wet and dry
Other lesser common COVID-19 symptoms that are reported alongside sore throat are:
- Shortness of Breath
- Body Aches and Pains
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Loss of taste and smell
We still are learning about coronavirus, and with the arrival of the new COVID-19 variant, we are occupied with learning more about both these variants. Due to this type and frequency of symptoms are changing every day.
Differentiate between Symptoms of COVID-19 vs Cold vs Flu
If you develop a respiratory infection such as a sore throat or any other symptom, you cannot know whether it is due to cold or seasonal flu or COVID-19. The simple way to rule out COVID-19 is to get the RT-PCR test or Antigen test done. Other factors which can help in differentiating between these are:
- COVID-19 symptoms develop gradually, and the most common symptoms reported to date are cough, fever, and fatigue. However, other symptoms also occur but less frequently.
- Common cold symptoms also appear gradually, but the early onset symptoms are sore throat and stuffy or runny nose that are most common. Rarely fever can also occur.
- Symptoms of flu occur more suddenly, and many symptoms of flu are common with COVID-19. However, flu symptoms like headache, body aches and chills are less common with COVID-19.
What To Do If You Have COVID-19 Symptoms?
If you have a sore throat and other COVID-19 symptoms, then you must take the following precautions:
- Don’t go out unnecessarily and stay home.
You should go out only to seek medical attention. If you live with other people, then as much as possible, try to maintain distance.
- Connect with your doctor.
Speak to your Meddo doctor online and tell them about your symptoms. Your doctor will suggest what to do when you are ill and can also arrange a COVID-19 test.
- Remember to keep track of your symptoms.
Most people with COVID-19 can recover in the comfort of their home. However, few people can develop more serious COVID-19, and if it happens, they need immediate medical attention.
How to ease COVID Symptoms Sore Throat?
Are you thinking about how to ease the COVID Symptoms Sore Throat? If you have mild COVID-19 symptoms with a sore throat, then you can take the following steps for relieving from sore throat at the comfort of home:
- You must drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated during recovery. Warm liquid like tea with honey or broths can help in soothing the soreness and sore throat.
- Gargle with the saltwater solution for reducing sore throat pain.
- To keep your throat moist through stimulating saliva production, you can suck hard candies and throat lozenges.
- Try using a humidifier for adding moisture to the air. Even a steamy shower can help in easing a sore throat.
- Take proper rest to help the immune system of your body to help to fight the infection.
- Use over-the-counter medications like aspirin, naproxen and acetaminophen to ease the pain of COVID symptoms and sore throat.
When to Consult a Doctor?
In some cases, mild COVID-19 symptoms may progress to become more severe symptoms. It generally happens five to eight days after you become sick. You seek immediate medical attention if you have the following COVID-19 symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Lips, face, or nails appear bluish
- Difficulty waking up
- Mental confusion
To answer the question ‘Is sore throat a symptom of corona’, you must know that yes, sore throat is one of the potential symptoms of COVID-19. However, these symptoms are less common as compared to other symptoms like fatigue, cough and fever.
If you experience COVID symptoms, sore throat or fever, then you must stay home and speak with your doctor to discuss your symptoms. They will help you to know how to take care of yourself and other precautions that you must take.